Real Maestranza de Sevilla
Seville's bullring measures 63 metres in width on one axis and 58 metres on the other. Its surface is covered in clay. Its barriers are 1.4 metres high and include six coverts. The bullring also has a variety of box seats. There are fourteen access doors and amongst its spaces there is a chapel, three stables, two corrals, twenty-one bull pens, an infirmary and a slaughterhouse.
General Archive of the Indies
The first measure they took was to expropriate the land occupied by the king's blacksmiths, a part of Casa de la Moneda, Hospital de las Tablas and some of the local government's own houses.
Its construction took place between 1583 and 1598 under the supervision of Juan de Minjares and Alonso de Vandelvira.
In 1660, the first Seville Academy of Fine Arts was founded in the building in 1660. At the end of the 18th century, during the reign of Charles III, it became the General Archive of the Indies.
Maria Luisa Park and Plaza de España - 15-minute walk
Under the expectation of the city hosting the Ibero-American Exposition in 1914, although it was actually held in 1929, work was undertaken and new buildings and facilities were constructed.
Plaza de España
This facility was constructed by Aníbal González for the Ibero-American Exposition of 1929. This building traces a semi-circle that is two hundred metres in diameter. It was built with stone and the extensive use of ceramic tiles, and its ends are marked by two towers.
The plaza's semi-circular shape is interspersed with benches clad in tiles that depict motifs that refer to Spanish provinces.
Its central part is crowned by a fountain. Locals and visitors alike can enjoy a pond that is crossed by four bridges which represent the kingdoms of Aragon, Castille, León and Navarre.
Gastronomy - Along with the best tapas establishments
Seville's typical meal form is tapas, which are mini dishes that can be eaten bar to bar. Their size enables you to try a huge diversity of flavours without over-filling yourself. Highlights include a variety of salads, roe with mayonnaise or salad dressed with vinaigrette, grilled or seasoned beef skewers, battered cod pieces that are covered in flour then lightly fried in olive oil, snails and olives. All of these dishes are accompanied by local wines, such as those from El Aljarafe, Jerez, Manzanilla and Montilla.
Typical sweets include "torrijas", which is a Muslim dish with the Spanish addition of wine, egg yolks and sugar.
6 kilometres away
Itálica was comprised of two parts: the vetus urbs (the old town) and the nova urbs (the new town). The latter was constructed during Hadrian's rule and is the area that currently constitutes the ruins of Itálica, where you can appreciate its urban centre, the large houses (domus) and their beautiful mosaics, and the amphitheatre. The theatre is located in the vetus urbs, found under the current houses of Santiponce.
The name nova urbs, given by García and Bellido, is considered incorrect by some experts who prefer to refer to this expansion of the city by the name of Itálica Adrianea. Here, public buildings and elegant mansions were located and surrounded by walls. The area's wide streets are equipped with a perfect drinking water supply and sewage system.
Seville Cathedral - Giralda
The cathedral's cloisters, known as Patio de los Naranjos, can be accessed through the Puerta del Perdón, which is formed by a pointed arch decorated with plasterwork in 1522 by Bartolomé López. The side sculptures are formed by Saint Peter and Saint Paul, while the Virgin Mary and Gabriel are also depicted along with the Cleansing of the Temple, located about the arch. Work began on this courtyard in 1172 and was completed in 1196. It has subsequently been renovated although it has maintained part of its original structure.
Among the other sculpture works of interest, we should mention the "Virgen de los Reyes" (an anonymous Gothic piece from the 13th century), the "Virgen de la Sede" (another anonymous Gothic sculpture from the 13th century), the tomb of Juan de Cervantes (a 13th century Gothic sculpture by Lorenzo Mercadante), "Cristo de la Clemencia" (a 17th century piece by Martínez Montañés in the Baroque era), "San Fernando" (from the 17th century by Pedro Roldán), and "Santas Justa y Rufina" (an 18th century Baroque sculpture by Duque Cornejo).
There is also a variety of pictorial works on display: "Virgen de la Antigua" (an anonymous, 16th century Renaissance piece), "San Cristóbal" (by Pérez de Alesio in the 16th century), "Inmaculada Concepción" (from the 17th century, a Baroque piece by Zurbarán) and "Visión de San Antonio" (from the 17th century, created by Murillo).
Torre del Oro
The Torre del Oro was built in 1221 by the last Almohad ruler, Abul-Ula. It had a defensive nature given that a chain stretching from the foot of the tower to the opposite riverbank could close entry to the port.
The tower has three parts, with the lower part being dodecagonal in shape, the middle section being hexagonal and the upper part being circular. The last of these elements was added by Sebastián Vander Borcht in 1760. The tower's entranceway has two bronze cannons.
Its name (with "oro" being the Spanish for "gold") is due to its exterior cladding of golden tiles or even the stores of riches it guarded in its interior brought by ships returning from America.
In the 16th century, due to its poor state, it was renovated but in the 17th century it was affected by the Lisbon earthquake in 1755, with the damage it had suffered being corrected in 1760 when the upper part was added.
Nowadays, it is home to the Naval Museum with its miniatures, recordings, sailing instruments, marine charts and interesting historical aspects.
The Alcázar of Seville
In the 16th century, a series of renovations was undertaken for the wedding of Charles V and and Isabella of Portugal. Highlights include the change of pillars that support the lobed arches of the Patio de las Doncellas to pairs of marble columns, the introduction of Renaissance decorative elements, the reconstruction of the upper part, the tracing of a new roof in the Salón de Carlos V, the remodelling of the Gothic palace of Alfonso X and work on the gardens.
The three main rooms were opened out to the Patio de las Doncellas: Salón de Embajadores, Salón de Carlos V and the bedrooms of the Moorish Kings (Dormitorios de los Reyes Moros).